Aqraba - عقربة

Located in the northern West Bank just 18 kilometers southeast of Nablus, Aqraba is a town of approximately 9,000 residents. Roughly 60% of the uninhabited land is used for almond and olive cultivation, with the remaining 40% being used for fruits, vegetables and grazing purposes.

Aqraba in Arabic means ‘scorpion’. The town is home to an old Byzantine church, now transformed into a mosque, as well as a number of cisterns, one of which still holds water. Pieces of pottery from the second Iron Age, as well as the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Umayyad, Ayyubid and Mamluk eras have been found in the area.

Aqraba came under Jordanian rule in 1949 before coming under Israeli occupation in 1967, and finally came under the control of the Palestinian National Authority in 1994.


We will stop in Aqraba for lunch with a local family. In villages it is important that you are dressed modestly at all times: this means wearing loose, opaque clothing that covers the shoulders and knees. Women should carry a lightweight scarf with which they can cover themselves when entering mosques or other holy sites.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.